3 Red Peppers
2 Garlic Cloves
1 Sprig of Thyme
1 tbsp Chilli Powder
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/2 tsp Coriander Seeds
50g Fresh Breadcrumbs
1 tbsp Pomegranate Molasses
5g Fresh Coriander, finely chopped
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 1/2 tbsp Honey
- Pre heat your oven to 160˚C (fan).
- Place the lemon cut side down into an oven suitable frying pan or small roasting tray.
- Remove just the root part of the garlic cloves, leaving the skin on. Using tinfoil create a small parcel containing the garlic, thyme, and olive oil.
- Add the parcel to the pan with the lemon and roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- While the garlic and lemon are roasting. Quarter the peppers, remove the seeds and lay in a single layer skin side up on a tray. Grill the peppers until the skins have blackened, while they are still hot put them into a lidded container to sweat as they cool.
- Once the garlic is soft and golden, remove it from the oven along with the lemon and set aside to cool, ensuring you retain the oil.
- Lightly toast the cumin and coriander seeds in a dry pan to release their aromats then grind in a pestle and mortar until it is fairly fine.
- Peel the garlic and dispose of the skins along with the thyme. Add the roasted garlic to the pestle and mortar with its roasting oil and continue grinding to making a paste.
- Combine the garlic paste to the breadcrumbs along with the chilli powder, pomegranate molasses and the juice of the roasted lemon, stir well and set aside.
- Remove and dispose of the pepper skins. Finely chop the pepper to an even mince and add this to the breadcrumb mix.
- Next finely chop the walnuts and stir in.
- Season the muhammara to taste with salt and pepper, you may want to add a little more pomegranate molasses or chilli at this point.
- Spoon the dip into a wide shallow dish leaving a textured surface, sprinkle over the chopped coriander. Drizzle over the honey and the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Serve the muhammara at room temperature alongside Sweet Chilli and Sour Cream KETTLE® Chips